Search Murray's blogs

Friday 23 April 2010

Missing Mike

Mike Garrett (left) is pictured with the legendary Ron Hill and 16 times London Marathon finisher Paul Curphey in 2004.

Mike has been with us at the marathon every year but one since then and has been a great friend to me. He has switched his running ambitions this year but we'll miss him in London.

Three years ago, in similar weather to what is forecast this year, we ran together at a conservative pace and beat our 3 hour target with Mike a little too strong for me in the final two miles - but I would never have beaten Elvis Pressley without him!

Last year I missed a crucial period of training before Christmas but it was the sessions that we did together after Christmas, and the two races we ran most of the way together (he beat me in the half marathon, I beat him in the 20 miles) that enabled me to run 2.45.59.

But it is breakfast on Monday morning that won't be the same without Mike! I don't think Mike will allow me to forgot the appearance of the chambermaid leaving my room the morning after I had been for a walk around Kings Cross.

No comments: