Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 10 October 2010

Good news for walking


Although I indulged in the cycle road race when I was housebound this morning I have not seen much of the Commonwealth Games on TV. I have probably watched less than at any time since I first took an interest in 1974 and I have relied on the evening highlights programme on the BBC.

It was with some trepidation that I watched when they announced that they were going to show the walks yesterday fearing that there would be the usual understandable confusion when they show slow motion film of the walkers failing to maintain contact with the ground.

I was delighted to learn that, rather than showing the event for the wrong reasons, it was because Jo Jackson had won gold medal. Great news for British walking.


David Griffiths's interview with her here

Michael Johnson is surely one of the best sports commentators around - he gets away from the "well done" mentality and says things as they are. He wasn't invited to comment upon the walking.

Steve Ovett was in 1982 and his comments are included in this video on my YouTube site:




No comments: