Search Murray's blogs

Friday 30 July 2010

Michael Johnson streaks ahead of the opposition

How many times did we used to see Michael Johnson streak to a win with the opposition trailing as he set his world records?

There have been many good commentary moments from the BBC at the European Championships this week - and so there should be from an incredibly bloated team that has surely set a world record of their own - the commentary and analysis team is into double figures!!

There have been some low points too. But its worth scanning through to find Michael Johnson destroying the field again.

Great performance from Mark Lewis-Francis? Michael says that when he comes back and does something against world class opposition he will stop criticising him. He criticised him in the past because he deserved to be criticised!

Why is it that that, unlike footballers who miss an open goal or fumble when in goal and get the blame, professional athletes who live off other people's money cannot accept any blame for going downhill?

I don't know about down hill but I'm sure Ron Hill would have been applauding Michael Johnson. For those that missed it, there was yet another feature about him in Athletics Weekly this week - the man who has not missed a day of running for 45 years!

I'm not sure that I (or many others) would agree with everything he says. He believes that you should carry on training through injuries and with all the knowledge that is available through books (I don't know if he has found the internet) you don't need a coach.

But I do think think athletes should at their peak should stop making excuses and go out there and make the most of those few years in their career when the sky is the limit.

Back to Michael Johnson. Lane 1 is surely a problem for Martyn Rooney in the 400 metres? Why? Where do 400 metre runners run their fastest times? In the relay from lane 1!

Back to Ron Hill. One of the fastest British runners in the London Marathon this year was let down by the pacemakers. Get out there and run yourself into the ground says Mr Hill who said it was last man standing in his day.

I had a chat with the great man in London, with Paul Curphey and Mike Garrett in 2004, when he promised to come back to the Isle of Man sometime - that's Ron Hill I'm afraid not Michael Johnson.

But would I have to make a confession to Ron if I met him tomorrow? I had a pacemaker for the final stages of a marathon last Sunday morning. I was doing one of my now customary training sessions over the full distance with the aim of getting well inside 2.55 (I had done 2.49 on the same session two years ago). I was a bit sluggish and just picking up the pace a bit when I met Nigel Armstrong at 18 miles. He kept me company for the remainder of the course and we lifted the pace enough for me to get down to 2.52. I ran 6.12 for mile 26 compared to 6.27 and 6.53 without a pacemaker for miles 4 and 5 on Tuesday evening. Its pathetic that some people need pacemakers!

We ought to be out on our own. Just like Michael Johnson.




Ron Hill turns down Mike Garrett and Paul Curphey as pacemakers in 2004

No comments: