Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 22 July 2010

Inflated values

My compensation for loosing my dad when I was only 21 was a betamax video recorder!

I inherited £400 and I have just used a website calculator to calculate that was the equivalent to £1,700 in today's money. I wanted to buy something with it that would last a long time so I bought something that was out of date in just a few years!

I could not imagine that 32 years later I would be throwing two perfectly good video recorders in the skip because nobody wanted them.

There are several reasons why I have not done anything on the website tonight. But clearing out more of those things that you keep in the attic just in case you need them was one of them.

I remember winning a £40 clock radio for winning the TT walk in 1980. That is the equivalent to £130 these days. There are no many events in the Isle of Man with those sort of values. But no race awarded a video recorder to the winner in those days - if they did I could donate two to the second placed finisher!

No comments: