Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 18 July 2010

60s night

Following a trend of late, during the exceptionally busy period of local fixtures, there was a low turnout on Friday evening - just 50% of the number who turned out in the first leg of the Scott Physiotherapy Dave Philips road races.

The over 60s were leading the four lap race for all but the final few yards. Alan Pilling was first away and held the lead until his fellow 60+ Dave Corrin took over on the final lap. Roy Crellin out sprinted Dave to take the win and the younger element were also represented in the first three when Sarah Franklin passed Alan for third.

I was able to see more of the race than planned. I had a particularly hard week of training, including an early morning run, but I should have been able to manage another 4.75 miles. But even when you are not taking a race too seriously you need to be prepared for it and there were some events just before I left for St Johns that left me anything but focussed (we arrived at St Johns at 6.55) and I couldn't bring myself to push myself hard and dropped out just after half way.

Congratulations to Western AC who now publish the results very quickly after the event. It takes me back to the days when Dave Philips did the timing for the (then) Peel Commissioners Road Races. We would race, after a cup of tea Dave would read out our results and if we waited a few minutes longer we could take a photocopied set of Dave's handwritten results home with us. For a time the results were much harder to obtain but now we have almost gone full circle.

It would be nice if the result sheet was longer next time but with round 5 inexplicably scheduled for 2 days before the marathon (and a week of five events in six days including two organised by Western) I fear that numbers will be low again.

No comments: