Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 28 July 2010

Clapped out

Run in a big city road race and the supporters always give you a clap as you pass by. Run in a local race and you'll often not see any supporters but if you do the most you are likely to get is a "keep going" before you get to the finish.

The exception is the Bushy's Great South Run where small groups of people cheer you around the scenic 10km course.

I thought I was in reasonable shape to race last night but I was feeling pretty clapped out by half way and, particularly as this course has been my unlucky one, I was having some negative thoughts. I had run the early stages with Chris Quine and Kevin Vondy and as they disappeared into the distance I relied on the clapping for the runners that were behind me to get a feel for the threat for my 7th position. I knew that someone was fairly close as I passed the Bay Hotel with about 400 metres to go but I hadn't realised that there were 5 within 38 seconds. Number 13 was not so unlucky.

The leaders were too far in the distance so I didn't get the story of the race but I thought the contrasting backgrounds of Ed Gumbley and Lloyd Taggart would be interesting and just 12 seconds kept them apart.

There were a refreshing number of different clubs represented in the top 10 with Manx Harriers (3), Manx Fell Runners (2), Northern AC (2), Manx Tri Club (2) and Belgrave Harriers all listed.

No comments: