Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 19 September 2010

Perpetuating myths

I have been indulging in far too much TV sport today.

It was the first time for many years that I had watched the Great North Run live on TV.


Here is a picture I took when I visited Newcastle last year of the road where the event starts .

For several years I have been perpetuating a myth that Margaret Lockley won the very first Great North Run. In fact she won the second.


Margaret Lockley in 2002

It was similar when I reported that Robbie Callister's best marathon time was 2:27:59 and it was always quoted by journalists. And then I went back to the results from the year he did his PB and realised that it was 2:28:59 - entirely my fault but everyone seemed to believe me.

Its not a myth that I have spoken to the great Haile Gebrselassie. 


I had just taken an unposed photo of Paul Curphey with Haile at the 2002 London Marathon exhibition when 
another runner asked if I could take a photo of him with Haile and email it to him.


Haile posing for me to take a photo of a Scottish runner in 2002



You've heard the story about how Haile promised Brendan Foster that he would run in the Great North Run and 10 years later to kept his word. Well, did you know that when I took this picture he had just promised to run in the Isle of Man too?


I have to keep some myths alive.

No comments: