Search Murray's blogs

Friday 10 September 2010

New chip timing


We had a new experience with chips at the London Marathon this year. The organisers had switched manufacturers after many years of using the same type you are always a bit nervous about whether they would work. We need not have bothered - they worked fine.

But we did have some reason to  be concerned about the chips in London. We stayed at the City Inn Westminster and on the Friday night the food portions were not big and so I ordered a side plate of chips.

£3.50 for the chips and I can remember exactly how many there were. 6 - yes that is almost 60p per chip!

 Just about everytime I have had chips since then Marie has had to endure that story and it has come up several times this week, not least when the plateful above (its actually a dish so its not flat like a plate) was  delivered at a pub in Newquay.

The chip timing was about 45 minutes but the split times were dreadful. I set off full of confidence but each segment got slower to the point where I was taking as long to eat one chip as it had taken to eat two at the start of the meal.

But after spending the last five months complaining about the lack of chips I wasn't going to admit that the pile featured above (at less than £10 for the fish and peas as well) was too much for me.

Especially with this view.

No comments: