Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Making good use of the blackberries


Although there were many other reasons why I didn't want to return home on Saturday evening, it was great to get back in front of my desktop computer.

Although I use a laptop when I travel I don't have many resources on it. I use it primarily to access my home computer using a software package called Logmein.com  But its quite fiddly to update the website as there is a slight delay between each keystroke.

I could also access our Skybox over the internet using a Slingbox. If you can afford such luxuries (and of course you need a Skybox) then its well worth the £150 or so that you pay according to the model. You could connect the Slingobox to your Skybox (or it could be a DVD, Freeview recorder or other digital item) and then connect it to a home network (unfortunately it won't work wirelessly but you can extend a network these days with special adapters via the mains). Not only can you watch your Sky programmes on a computer on your network but also on another TV if you network that. What is best though is that by connecting to Slingbox.com you can watch over the internet and even use the remote control.

I was able to enjoy the England match when I was away.

But the best innovation of all was that Marie and I were able to both use the blackberries as we walked along the coastal path. They supplemented our diet of fish, chips, pasties, cream teas and Cornish beer with a contribution towards the other five a day!

No comments: