Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Hom many postmen does it take to deliver a message?

Whilst I was out at the End to End Walk on Sunday Graham Young left me a message on our answerphone including the results of the Postmen in Uniform walks in London. I was too busy on Sunday to deal with it but then when I went to transcribe the message on Monday I realised it was going to take me ages because without a pause facility (and without being an expert in shorthand) it would require starting the whole message (including the preamble) every time I had written down a few words.

Graham was on his way to Bulgaria for two weeks.

The report was intended for the newspaper so I contacted John Watterson to tell him that there would be delay before I could do this.

Meanwhile Graham had said in his message that John Cannell would be bringing back the results but he couldn't find them when I spoke to him on Monday evening.

I eventually came up with the idea of videoing the answer machine - not for the video but the audio that it captured! After transferring this to my computer and uploading it to a website I asked my friends if they would volunteer for some homework and Michael George kindly transcribed Graham's message from my recording of the recording.

This morning John Cannell sent me the results by email so I have published the report and results and emailed them to John Watterson.

I suppose in the old days the postmen would have put the report on a piece of paper and attached it to the results sheet and it would have been here on Monday morning.

No comments: