Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Great news for publishing photos

I've been using the Fotopic.net site for many years and have lead others down the same path. I think, however, I am the only one of the local users who use their premium service. This is a subscription based service which allows multiple galleries and allows me to remove adverts, use more bandwidth etc.

I first saw a tip for the site run by Joel and Nikki Rowbottom in the Sunday Times. They sold out and the business went downhill from there. Last year the site went down for a time and we thought it was the end (luckily it returned). At that time I joined a Google user group and have been following events with users sticking to a format that they liked but with service quality that did not meet their expectations.

Joel has been a regular contributer to the user group and has apparently done a lot of unpaid work for fotopic as an act of goodwill. He had a "non compete" agreement with the current owners which has now expired.

He is going to launch a new site which I think will be using the best features of Fotopic and some of the other features that people like in FlickR etc. I can't wait. I am definitely prepared to pay for a good quality product run by people of such undoubted integrity. Although I am always looking for a bargain I suspect the viability will be wholly dependent on him charging a reasonable price.

It is very clear that some people expect everything for nothing on the internet. And I know that the more you provide for free the more people expect!

No comments: