Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Marathon winner plans a return


Ian McIlwee (right), winner of the Salclear Isle of Man Marathon, pictured with Nigel Armstrong

I didn't get a chance to speak with Ian McIlwee after the marathon but Nigel Armstrong had put him in touch with me and he we exchanged emails on Ian's return from a family holiday to Canada.

He didn't think he was in shape to run anywhere near his London time of 2.44 and was happy just to let some of us go and hope at least one of us would tire in the later stages and he could maybe get 3rd place.  
"It was a strange feeling being in the lead because I have never been in the lead of a race before" he said. "So I just tried to keep the pace going and made a decision not to look over my shoulder for the rest of the race. The last 4 miles were agony and lasted an age but the encouragement from the half marathon runners was brilliant. I will relive the feeling of crossing the line first for a long time."
He is planning to run London and with a bit of luck will be back with his family in August 2011.

No comments: