Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 8 August 2010

How not to run a marathon


Steve Cain caught me on film between 21 and 22 miles just before I was caught in the lead of the Salclear Isle of Man Marathon.

My plan for the marathon had always been to run a decent time but in as controlled way as possible so that my recovery was quick and I could move onto my more serious marathon of the year in the autumn. I had run it in this way in 2006 and 2008. I failed in a big way this year and got everything wrong.

I took the early lead but, given the variety of gradients I didn't think I had gone too fast. After about three miles Graham Hedger started to ease ahead and I ran with clubmate Nigel Armstrong with Ian Mcilwee tucked in behind us. So far so good. At five miles I was about 50 seconds down on where I had been 2 years ago. But Nigel started to up the pace and he dragged me with him a bit even though I let him go at about 7 miles. I lost about 10 seconds at the 10 mile drink station when I couldn't find my drink and that let Ian steal a few yards on me. I worked hard into Ramsey to try and reduce the gap but they were really putting the hammer down.

I went through half way in 1.23.00 which was too quick. But I went through half way in London in 1.23.16 so if I just steadied myself I should have been still on course for a sub 2.50 time. Instead, because I realised that I was pulling Nigel and Ian back a bit, I put the boot in and flew past recording my fastest mile of the race in mile 16 - a slightly uphill section into a slight headwind. I was rapidly catching Graham up the hill into Bride, closed him down in the descent and decided to push on.

By now I on was on sub 2.45 pace. I had definitely not eased down enough to achieve that even I am capable of it at all. But I continued using too much energy reaching 20 miles in 2.05.50. Rather than listening to my body I was still going for glory and things finally caught up with me by 24 miles. You can see from the split times below that I was reduced to a crawl and I took a few steps of walking here and there. Thanks to some of the half marathon athletes though, Mo Cox in particular, who shouted out me to keep going when I was tempted to take the easy option.


Yes, I am pleased that I kept going and yes I am pleased to win the Manx title for the third time in five years. Clearly I wouldn't have beaten Ian (I only got ahead because of my rash pace) but I should have run under 2.50.

Marathon running is all about consistent use of energy. Today I consistently made mistakes - I knew I should not have been so confident.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

Hey, you might be interested to read this article about a guy running the marathon who took over 7 hrs due to poor training
http://londonmarathontraining.wordpress.com/hownottorunamarathon/