Search Murray's blogs

Saturday 31 October 2009

Down Wembley Way

I used to follow a lot of football when I was a kid but never thought I would get close to Wembley.

I used to listen to a lot of Fleetwood Mac when I was still pretty young and had their first Greatest Hits record almost worn out before Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band. I never thought I would get close to them.

Last night I walked down Wembley Way to the Wembley Arena and was lucky enough to see Fleetwood Mac play. And it was a great experience.


It took me a while to be won over by the "new" Fleetwood Mac in the 70s. It was a bit like when the best players leave a football team and you are unsure about the replacements but in time they turn out to be even better.

Nothing could be further from the truth and half way through the show last night Marie whispered to me "its like a one man show", referring to a superb performance by Lindsay Buckingham.

It was as it we were watching a football match at the stadium next door. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were a pretty sold defence; Stevie Nicks was a creative force in midfield but the drive that Lindsay Buckingham got all those years ago (32 years since Rumours) when he discovered that Nicks was not being faithful to him, gave him the agression to be star of the show and score goal after goal up front.

We are off to London City Airport shortly but I will be back online tonight.

There is a great entry for the half marathon tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it

No comments: