Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 16 November 2011

www.manxathletics.com

QUICK VERSION – go to http://79.170.44.78/manxathletics.com/index.html for now to see the site until further notice.


Hi all

I am sending this to a few of the people I think may be interested from my address book (if you are not ignore the email – there are also a lot of people I know who are not in my address book).

For the past 11 years I have used www.oneandone.co.uk to host the www.manxathletics.com website. I’ve had a few “issues” over the years but it has always been too much hassle to move the site to another host.

I had been advised that they were to upgrade their operating system and servers overnight (last night) and that the site would be offline for “10-15” minutes. Not long enough to worry about.

When I checked at 6.30 this morning it was “down”. I waited for a few hours and the reply at lunchtime was that a certain file was corrupt and I should fix it. This was difficult when I could not access the control panel and it was one of their files not mine! My stern response brought an apology this evening and I was told that they had incorrectly classified my account type and thereby deleted all my files. “All” I had to do was to reload my files (that is 11 years of my files and all of Paul Jackson’s at www.manxharriers.com and www.easterfestival.info ) via a control panel which still returned an error message which prevented my use. Three further exchange of emails have brought no joy.

I had begun to hedge my bets and I contacted http://www.warewelchwebhosting.co.uk/ where I host the www.parishwalk.com  site. The customer service here was such a contrast and I had a temporary account set up in no time at all and I have now uploaded all the files I had backed up (thank goodness for Manx Telecom’s Ultima Service this time).

I have now redirected www.manxharriers.com and www.easterfestival.info to this new location so these should be visible again.

It will take longer to move the www.manxathletics.com domain (I will not predict how long) because it is linked to the full hosting package at www.oneandone.co.uk Although I am going to write off the remaining term there are problems with moving it to the new host. I’ll update you on this another day but in the meantime if you wish to find the site as it was last night go to:


and perhaps spread the word through email, Facebook etc. By all means quote the above text and advise people to steer clear of my former host. I have a number of other accounts which will also be moved.

The forum at www.manxathletics.info has been unaffected as it is part of a separate hosting package at http://www.hostmonster.com/ but I realise that most people don’t have it bookmarked but go via the main site.

Hope that everyone is fit and well and sorry that this is impersonal.

Best wishes

Murray



No comments: