Search Murray's blogs

Monday 7 November 2011

Start line conversation takes me back to Kirk Michael


I was chatting to Roy Crellin on the start line at the hill race on Saturday and he was telling me how much he enjoyed it when I raided my fathers collection of old Manx transport. It encouraged me to publish more.

So here is a really old one from Kirk Michael. Although the year is unknown it would be from the era I have been thinking about today.

The photo is opposite the Isle of Man Bank and on the other side of the road is the Kirk Michael Church (Ebenezer Chapel) and Sunday School. I can't pretend that I was ever a willing member of the congregation but I used to attend as a child and teenager until I started making myself late home from the milk round I helped on every Saturday, Sunday and school holiday.

The church notices were read every week by Norman Barron. He was good at delivering messages for he was the village postman for many years. Sadly, Mr Barron passed away on Saturday - but only after 42 years of retirement for he lived to be 102.

Latterly a resident of the Corrin Home in  Peel he will be missed by residents of Peel and Kirk Michael. I'll never forgot him reading the notices and announcing that there would be a rally in Waterloo Church the following Saturday. A Methodist rally was rather more sedate than the ones that passed the many other Methodist chapels in the area (Orrisdale, Ballaleigh, Barrowgarrow, Little London etc) although Kevin Vondy would probably be at both.

No comments: