Search Murray's blogs

Friday 11 November 2011

This has been my thought all day

I was listening to the "Talking Heads" summary on Manx Radio yesterday evening and the subject was the banning (at he time) of the England football team wearing the poppy. Stu Peters spoke with Norman Butler who reminded us that a thousand people from the Isle of Man lost their lives during the First World War.

That was 2% of the population; nearly one a day for four years. And what is more, they were predominantly young men so much of generation was lost. And I am sure that there were a lot of other people with injuries and dreadful memories that wrecked their lives.

We are often reminded that without those that fought to give us freedom we would not be here to enjoy it. And if it were not for the second world war I would not be here to write this. My father was posted here and met my mother.

No comments: