Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 26 July 2009

"Next year I'll be able to suffer better"

I started the day with a bit of publicity for the busy programme of events in the next month and, with no events this weekend, that took the pressure off me to update the site for the rest of the day.

It has been a bit of a bumper day for sport on TV and it was the first day that I had managed to see more than 15 minutes of live action in the Tour de France. I was well aware of the expectation that Mark Cavendish was expected to win but got more and more nervous as the race progressed.

But what a stunning finish. I loved the interview with him which was shown on both channels when they asked him about his aims for next year. He described how he thought he would survive the tour better next year by saying that he would be better at suffering!

I can only imagine the pride that his family and friends have as I have never met him and I was so proud that he is from the Isle of Man. Our son Ben has just returned from a month of "inter railing" around Europe and he said that when he mentioned the Isle of Man to people he met the typical response was not about the TT, or tax havens, or Manx cats or the birch but "that's where Mark Cavendish comes from".

I doubt if the Isle of Man will produce such a famous sports person in my lifetime.

Its one of those times you have to enjoy the moment.

During the next 48 hours (until I cover the North Barrule fell race) my time of my home computer is going to be focused on business matters so any updates on the website until then will be minor.

No comments: