Search Murray's blogs

Monday 6 July 2009

I bet that no Manxman would want to change Tynwald Day


Its a strange this about Manxness. Other cultures are so proud of their traditions but I reckon far more Manx people went through the door of B & Q than near the hill in St Johns today.

Like most young people I used to get bored at Tynwald when I was a kid but I've not missed the July 5 celebrations for at least 20 years as I have tried to support a great tradition. I've also used as a way to renew old friendships.

My involvement has changed a little and this year I have been helping Marie and her colleagues to entertain the Tynwald guests, which has kept me away from the website again for a couple of days.

But I can't help noticing that, although numbers go up a little on the years when there are royal guests, in general there has been a steady decline in visitors.

But if anyone suggested changing it....suddenly everyone would claim to go every year!

I'm off to rejoin the fray.

No comments: