Search Murray's blogs

Monday 20 July 2009

Another favourite place on the Island ...except for cross country



The top photo is of an oil painting by my late grandmother, Amy Crowe. It is one of several from her collection that I was lucky enough to inherit and it was painted at the ford on the Creg-y-Cowin road in east Baldwin. You can hardly call it a road as, apart from agricultural use by my cousin Graham Crowe who farms the area, very few vehicles ever travel on this road.

Thank goodness. It is one of the most unspoilt roads on the Island. I walked along it yesterday with Marie and Robbie on a beautiful day and took the photo which shows how little anything has changed since my grandmother painted the scene in the 1950s.

My grandmother was born on a long derelict farm called Ard Derry on the west side of the East Baldwin River about a mile from this scene. My Uncle, Kenyon Crowe and his son Graham have farmed the area from Ballachrink for many years.

The farm was used for generations by the motor cycle trials clubs and for three or four years at the end of the 1970s it was also the scene of the Boundary Harriers (and Island league) cross country.

It was a difficult course as one side of the course involved running on a sharp camber on field. But then, like yesterday, it reminded me of my playtime in the Baldwin valley as a child visiting my relatives. Actually, I had some reasonable results on that course and, apart from the camber, was a great course.

I learnt yesterday about another well known athletics family whose family descend from East Baldwin. A story for another day.

No comments: