Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 9 July 2009

Backing up is the best thing to do

I've been a bit concerned about my back up procedures lately to ensure that all my files would be secure if my main hard disk broke. I've just about got everything covered now but tonight I have tackled something even more important.

A year or two ago one of my websites was hacked and I lost all the content on www.murrayandmarie.com (our holiday business). Whilst I was able to quickly restore the main site (and change the password) I couldn't rebuild all the athletics stuff I used to host there before I set up a separate account for www.manxathletics.com Although I have all the original files somewhere on my computer. they are not all in one place and can't be quickly restored.

I now have a backup procedure for backing up my files on three separate servers (the other being the www.parishwalk.com site. It means that if if something went wrong in the future I could fairly quickly restore the files (or move everything to a completely new service provider which I have never been able to do before).

The backup (among other things) will include the content that Paul Jackson has on the www.manxharriers.com and www.easterfestival.info sites.

No comments: