Search Murray's blogs

Monday 31 October 2011

Get the bus to Glen Helen?


Glen Helen used to be a prime destination for tourists using public transport. There was never a rail connection, although I believe there might have been a plan to take a branch line from near Ballacraine, but coaches and buses used to deliver thousands of visitors to the beauty spot - and the cafe  and the pub.

I've just been lecturing on the need to think about travel to the forthcoming hill league and cross country events where parking will be a premium (see the front page). I wondered if it would be possible to travel to Glen Helen by bus but I think you need to leave before the race starts!

So the nearest connection is at Ballacraine  where my dad took this shot. I've just been through his transport collection whilst looking for one at Glen Helen and it has given me loads of leads for little tales next time time I go off track.

No comments: