Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Biggest moaners

I've always been interested in politics and, like most people, I challenge or disagree with some decisions that are taken.

But I have always said that I could never be a politician because we expect too much from them and most people only ever have anything to do with them when they are complaining. Its an impossible job.

What impression would an outsider get of the Isle of Man if they read Manx forums or "Your Say" on iomtoday? Probably that the Isle of Man has the most incompetent politicians, the most corrupt government, our economy is in tatters and the environment has been destroyed.

(In the style of a premiership football manager), the facts are that our economy has been transformed in the past 30 years by the politicians that were criticised equally through those 30 years and we still have some of the best scenery in the world.

Hopefully we can maintain a strong economy and a beautiful island but what a brilliant starting point we are in. For goodness sake, we have reserves and not debt - compare our position with all the big world economies with debt soaring out of control.

Engage in the political process but maintain a level of decency and not criticise for the sake of it.

Which brings me to the forum. A number of people complained to me when they couldn't access the old forum as if it was a bigger problem than the economy. One of my (non athletic) friends was quite shocked when somone "had a go at me" in his company and said I should tell them where to put the forum!

I was therefore surprised when reviewing the forum log to see that some of the biggest moaners have not even been on the forum for several months, despite the effort I made to revive it.

Engage in the political process but maintain a level of decency and not criticise for the sake of it.

1 comment:

Dave Mackey said...

One of my favourite sayings springs to mind - " empty vessels make the most noise ".
You are way beyond criticism Murray - save for the team you support !