Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 11 August 2009

A choice of viewing

I was really cheesed off on Sunday when, after uploading all my marathon photos to the fotopic site I discovered that due to a technical problem at the fotopic end (which I was able to verify via Googlegroup that I am a member of) that I couldn't create any new photo albums.

Between the other things that I was trying to do around the house I started uploading them to FlickR and Picasa and finding new problems with each of them. I eventually chose Picasa as the reserve site only for the uploading to stop about 400 photos short of my 1018 collection.

The problem at fotopic was sorted out yesterday morning and I have now worked how to use the Picasa site better than I previously was. So all photos are now on both sites (links on front page).

I still like the fotopic site when it works, and I am a paid up premium member under January 2012), but if there are problems another time I can switch a lot quicker.

What made it doubly frustrating was that the previous day I had updated to ADSL2 which in theory gives me upload speeds three times faster. But that is no help if nobody can see the photos when they are uploaded!

4 comments:

Slim said...

The picasa windows client is the best way to upload to the website. It'll also automatically watch sync a directory on your computer, so you don't need to manually upload at all.

Uploaded over 10gb of photos recently, took a week, but they all went up without a problem and no restarts.

Murray Lambden said...

Thanks. Yes, its easy when you are not under pressure as I was on Sunday. Although I had installed Picasa a long time ago, I had moved my photo collection onto a different disk which was another snag.

10GB of photos?

Slim said...

Yes, my entire collection of family photos! Wanted them all offsite for backup, so I bought storage from Google and uploaded the lot, in original size.

Murray Lambden said...

Just spotted a typo (which I have now corrected)on my original post. There was a "not" instead of a "now" which altered the meaning quite a lot.