Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 30 August 2009

73,000 and counting

When I copied my holiday photos from my laptop to my PC this morning I realised just how disorganised my photo collection has become in the past 18 months during the time that I seem to have been either going to events or going off-island (when not at work).

So I started a tidying up exercise that if I had known how long it was going to take me I could never have faced. Its ok having a good system of backups but you need to maintain the order as well. Sometimes when I am in a rush to publish things I just leave default file names rather than give them meaningful names.

At last I have my photos in good order again - all 73,000 of them. I'll try and put off any more such housekeeping jobs for a while and hopefully tomorrow I shall do a photo spread using files sent by Stan Hall from Port Erin on Friday.

Someone said to be recently that they thought I could just go to my computer and type in a name and I could find all the photos of a particular person. If only I had time for that sort of tagging!

But at least I no longer have photos of my mother-in-law named Carraghan Fell Race! Its usually when I take a couple of photos and leave them on the camera just before I take a whole batch that that sort of thing happens.

No comments: