Search Murray's blogs

Friday 3 April 2009

No camera for Olympic champion

Marie and I were lucky enough to be invited to the dinner, in aid of the Isle of Man Childrens Centre, at which Ben Ainslie was guest last night. I changed my mind several times during the day as to whether I would take a camera or whether I should just enjoy myself and I settled for the latter.

We were guests of Richard and Juliet Holt who not only took a table to support the charity but also bought a number of expensive items in the auction. One of them was donated back to auction a second time; another was given back to the Childrens Centre for the benefit of some of the children. I spent my first eight working years employed by the Holt family at Ronaldsway Aircraft Company and with the passing of time its easy to forget the importance of the business to the economy.

At its peak it employed 670 people in well paid jobs and before the finance sector became the biggest part of the economy, was largely responsible for building the prosperity that the Isle of Man now enjoys. Ronaldsway Aircraft Company sponsored many events from the Isle of Man Marathon to the Track & Field Championships. In 1987 they became one of the biggest sponsors in Manx sporting history when they paid for all the team tracksuits and all costs above £150 per team member and underwrote the cost of the team hotel for the Island Games in Guernsey.

The other guests on our table last night were all involved with the Isle of Man Commonwealth Games Association and I had the pleasure of Margot Stott and Vicky Malone on either side of me. I did tell Martin Malone on the other side of the table and who recently won the Manx Harriers Half Marathon that I had dug up plenty of dirt about him to put on the website but Vicky was much too nice (and Martin too good a husband) to get anything!

I don't know much about sailing but Ben Ainslie really sold the sport as a very inclusive one where even Olympic champions mix with the ordinary people. I often criticise sports presenters but I must say that Tim Glover of Manx Radio did a very good job of interviewing Ben at the dinner last night. The main sponsors of the event were SMP Partners.

A night off from the website, a morning off from training (giving those aches a rest) but only five hours sleep.

I've just published a photo of Mooragh Park on the front page as a mini promotion for the Ramsey Park runs - they start in just two weeks time. I met some great people last night, we are having some good early spring weather and with the Ramsey Park Runs in 14 days away it feels like those dark cold and wet days are well behind us. Only three weeks to the London Marathon too - this is not just frightening because of my participation but because I h aven't yet started to compile the list of Manx competitors for the usual feature on the website and statistics for the rest of the Manx media.

No comments: