Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 28 April 2009

I've not won anything but wheels go around in London


Having provided much of the publicity for runners in the London Marathon in recent years I have rather been caught by my own publicity.
I have had contact from virtually all the local media in the past 24 hours and have another interview with the BBC tomorrow afternoon. Of course, I could have refused to cooperate but I feel a responsibility to do my bit to publicise the sport where I can.
The point is that I have not actually won anything but just happened to be the fastest local. Being the old git that I am I suppose it adds a dimension but frankly my run of 2.45.01 at Cardiff in windy conditions the day after my 50th birthday in October 2006 was a better performance and I was in much better condition last August before I got injured.
But the wheels go around in London like the London Eye pictured above. A year ago I had the least enjoyable run of my whole life. I went up the wheel when I got myself fit last Summer with a lot of early morning training only to come back down the other side. I've got up again since Christmas but I'm going to enjoy that view whilst I can as I can sense (with a sore knee) that I'll be coming down yet again.
So my advice is two fold:
1) Enjoy the praise when you get it but evaluate your own performance against your goals.
2) Dig in there when things are down. It takes more effort to climb the wheel and a lot less to come down but it goes round for all of us - not just me; not just you.

No comments: