Search Murray's blogs

Friday 17 May 2013

Not much Bloom in Nobles

That great benefactor, Henry Bloom Noble, left many things to the people of Douglas including a wonderful park where once visitors would spend a day playing tennis, bowls, pitch & putt, bowls and putting. School children would play rugby and football. There was a cricket pitch.

Gradually the facilities have been eroded. After all who needs a car park if you can use that for something else and then park on the grass fields? This morning, as I ran through,  I discovered that half of the main field has been taken over by Snooze Boxes - where the TT fans will stay if they can't find other accommodation.

The Mooragh Park in Ramsey, by contrast, has retained much more of its Victorian charm and that is where I shall be tonight for the second round of the Park Runs. I intended to take Robbie, but he is ill, so I might have my third race in nine days.

If I was a modern day Mr Noble, I would buy up Kirby Park near the Quarter Bridge and open that up to the people.


I saw some of it last night from the TT access road whilst I was taking photos of the 5km walk.

I thought it was nine years since I stepped out in that race but it was only seven. I'm feeling a bit sheepish that I can't remember my own statistics.

No comments: