Search Murray's blogs

Friday 24 May 2013

First time in more than 20 years

I didn't attend a single event in the Dave Phillips Memorial Road Races this year, the first time in more than 20 years. I intended to go to St Johns to take photos this evening but I was a little later coming home work and the phone was ringing and the question came into my head - why? Its been an eventful week outside of sport and why was I worrying about attending?

I can't pretend that I thought it was a good idea to organise five handicap races in less than two months when there are so many other events on at the same time the year but after attending the series for the past couple of decades, first through the streets of Peel, then on the Poortown Road and latterly at St Johns, I felt obliged to go at least once but I'm still not sure why.

I've long championed handicap races where novices are given a warm welcome and serious runners can take a break from their training and chase after them. Is this still what we are doing?



Robbie Lambie, Paul Trees and Mike Garrett start outside Peel Camp Site in June 2002

No comments: