Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 17 March 2013

Payback time

When the alarm went off yesterday morning I tried to remember the reasons why I could remember I had no time to spare!

The reasons came back into my head quickly. We were going out to the Young Farmers Concert at the Gaiety Theatre in the evening and we had friends round for a meal beforehand at 5 pm. With the Creg-ny-Baa fell race starting at 1.30 I would have little time to upload photos, update the website and edit video before they arrived. And if I was to make it to the start of the fell race I would have to get the holiday cottage cleaned very quickly. And if I was going to start that task on time I couldn't afford to delay commencement of my 10 mile run.

Thankfully, I got some payback on my previous investment in some of these functions. I am fit enough to routinely run 10 miles; the holiday cottage benefited from my spring cleaning and only having two people for four nights (and as we didn't have anyone moving in immediately I could leave some of the washing in the tumble dryer and call back today); I'm getting heavier handed with the video editing (I don't lose sleep if I don't get every person into the cut of every single race any more); and if our guests wanted to watch the rugby (they wished they hadn't), I could sneak away to finish uploading the video).

But the final payback was a cost not a benefit. Long before the end of each 35 minute slot by the local young farmers clubs I was desperate to stand to relieve the pain from my knee caused by so many years of pounding the roads. The evening was as good as ever but if you saw someone at the back going over the top with standing ovations you may have seen me.


View  towards Snaefell yesterday.

No comments: