Search Murray's blogs

Monday 5 November 2012

Back to back of backups

For the past few years I have uploaded gigabyte after gigabyte of files to the site https://www.diino.com/ somewhere in Sweden. Its been a reasonably cheap form of online backup.

When my luck was against me the other other week it didn't even enter the top six of misofortunes when Diino sent an email to announce that their site was to close (although they do say that they are in talks with interested parties but remember fotopic?).

I foolishly rushed into a subscription with My Backup PC who appeared to be the highest rated backup site  alongside ZipCloud - well they would be (both same thing) when they appear to post loads of positive reviews themselves whilst slagging off the opposition. Avoid like the plague. They have all sorts of tricks like slowing down the uploads unless you pay a premium or just not being able to sign into your  account.

So I have started again with the (almost too good to be true) service at www.varsitycloud.com  I've uploaded 1.44GB so far which is like running the first 100 yards of a marathon. Its busy uploading Word files and that sort of thing at the moment - the photos are still in Greenwich Park waiting to cross the start line. I've not even considered online backups for video - we'll be into ultra marathons if I get that far.

As always, after a couple of days break from work and the website I have come back vowing not to become a slave to it again and tried to do a few things with Marie tonight including watching the excellent programme on Channel Four fronted by Guy Martin. But by heck I've still managed to recycle some of the Syd Quirk Half Marathon statistics.

Until last year, the Haldane Fisher Syd Quirk would have been held yesterday (if you know what I mean). We have to wait for the end of November now but at least we don't have to wait for the train!


Kevin Loundes waiting for the train to pass Ballasalla in 2008


No comments: