Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Keeping track of scanning

I started this evening scanning recent personal documents and moved on to some more archive scanning.

I am trying to clear at least a couple of jobs off my list each night at the moment and some time ago Alan Franklin asked me if I had the press cuttings from the opening of the National Sports Centre in 1991. I have scanned all of these and sent them to him but I also plan to use a few of the cuttings on the site.

So I started with the final pre Manx Harriers event (September 1991) which is on the front page and on this blog I have another piece of history. I was firmly behind plans to site the NSC where it is but due to the size of the location there were never going to be more than 6 lanes. A move was afoot in Tynwald to move the NSC to St Johns. The logic was that  it was the centre of the island rather than the place where probably 75% of the population live or work within a three mile radius.

The previous week the Bislett Games, one of the best athletic events in the world at the time, had been held on a 6 lane track. I was happy to confirm to the Minister for Tourism and Leisure, Allan Bell, whose political will brought us these facilities, that he had the support of the sport.

No comments: