Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Broken links

I had the honour of being in Noel Cringle's company last night during the final hours of his 11 years as President of Tynwald. Marie works for Tynwald and he threw a party for the staff and their spouses. I think it was the 8th function I have been to as the spouse in the last three weeks.

One of the features was the playing of good old fashioned party games.

Noel's son Mark, who this year completed the Parish Walk for the first time, was a promising young race walker in the early 80s and Noel did everything he could to support him - including coming out of retirement wearing his white shirt to compete.

I have spent most of the evening chilling out with Ben but about an hour ago I started looking for a photo of Noel with another person who has been on my mind during recent days.  I planned to link the two via a photo that I couldn't find .

So I shall have to link Noel with something else that has been in the news. It was Noel who had responsibility for the 1985 Year of Sport when the Isle of Man introduced the first Island Games. Its no exaggeration to say that without Noel there would have been no Island Games although its equally true of Geoff Corlett who did much of the work.

But I have published one old photo of Noel on the front page.  I can't think of anything else to link it to. Can you? In any event, try and name the other walkers on the photo.

No comments: