Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 19 December 2010

Not doing anymore

I'm afraid that I am out of energy again after doing a bit of work and some emails.

By the way, I don't mind helping people who lose their password for the forum (even though it usually takes a while to sort them out) and I have just done three.

Where I have a very low priority is for people who try and register on the forum without using their real name and then wonder why they have not been approved. Every day I receive via email  several applications to join the forum but most of them are from China with user names such as "fghdi123". I have a simple rule that if the user name is not a real one (and I have a chance to verify it from the email address) I don't approve it.

The forum in the current form has been running for 18 months of my 3 year subscription and I made it very clear in the introduction that people have to use their real names and even with the old forum that was the intention.

I will not run a Manxforums type of system that allows people to hide behind names that cannot be recognised whilst writing libelous rubbish.

I will eventually reply to all my emails (I always do) but I have about 30 of these follow up emails and so I need to batch my reply.

Going back to the use of your real name, if you do not want people to know that you are using the forum then there is very little disclosure other than appearing in the "latest member" field. So if you only want to use the forum as a reader then you have nothing to worry about. But I am assuming that everyone will contribute and therefore I will continue to set my own rules for the privilege of picking up the tab and being responsible for what is published.

No comments: