Search Murray's blogs

Thursday 9 December 2010

Hidden under wraps and lost under wraps

The publication of details of the latest Manx website completes three matters that I had been asked to keep under wraps.

I remember meeting Kevin Deakes in the Strand Shopping Centre during the summer when he said that he would like to use his skills to develop a local database similar to the Power of 10 UK website.

When he started work on the project he allowed me access to the dummy site but didn't want to go public until he had developed it further. I was itching to announce it because it adds so much to the local athletics "experience".

I use the word experience somewhat reluctantly because I remember taking the Micky out of a bank that advertised for a Head of Customer Experience. People who visit banks generally just want to deposit or borrow money etc they are not looking for some wonderful experience. But I believe that a sport can positively affect the quality of people's lives and the enjoyment we take from it is increased if we can anticipate and reflect back on events through the use of good websites.

Kevin's websites will allow us to do that. I have already been from Peel to Douglas this morning - but only on Kevin's Google Map!

When I was asked to keep this under covers I had also been asked not to publicise the appointment of Steve Taylor as chief judge at the London Olympics and the end of the Millennium Way Relay. These are all in the public domain now.

In contrast to the above, I have quite a few emails from which  I meant to publish the details but never did. I'm going to try and deal with these later today.


   The photo is of Kevin Deakes in an 800 metres at Doncaster in 1983.

No comments: