Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 25 May 2010

Fed up with stats!

Yet another of my many sayings is that "nothing that is worth doing is easy". I often say this to people whether they are struggling with training, exams, work, personal relationships - it applies to anything really.

I've had to remind myself of this in the past few days as every time I think I am getting on top of the Parish Walk stats another challenge arises.

The reason it is worth persevering is that it is the only way I can produce the stats that people have come to expect from me - in fact they want more every year.

Someone asked me how long it had taken me to get the first draft of the Parish Walk feature ready and I joked "30 years". It was a lot harder when I was even result in from the newspaper results. In fact I am still finding errors from some of those earlier years. The great thing about the current version of the file is that it forces us to identify even slightly different versions of their names in different years.

A few people even spelt their names differently this year than last - hopefully it was their friends who entered them and made the mistakes.

Anyway, I started work on the file at 5.15 this morning when I received a file from Karen Kneale so its time to put it to bed for the day.

Here is the third version of the past data:


For more Parish Walk stats, go to my other blog at:

No comments: