Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 25 May 2010

The days before Sleazy Jet

I was hunting for a different photo earlier and I stumbled upon some more of my late father's transport photos.

I thought this one captured the spirit of the "old days" before the two words "airport and security" were used in the same sentence.

But let's not kid ourselves. Airports in those days were designed to help you with your journey (not to get you to spend as much money as possible) but how many people could actually afford to fly? My first flight (aged 18) was to the English Schools walking championships thanks to the Board of Education. So I have found an athletics connection for my photo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi. Love your picture. I lived on the Island as a boy in the 60's and remember the airport exactly as your picture shows!