Search Murray's blogs

Friday 12 March 2010

Didn't know that I was talking to a hero

On Wednesday evening, just before I left work, I took a call from the police.

They had completed their investigations into the crash on 20 February when a car had been driven into our cottage garden after the driver had lost control on the ice and snow. The police constable was supplying me with the name and address of the driver and giving me his insurance details.

In true Manx style I knew the driver, indeed he will be known to many on this site as someone who competed regularly during his teenage years in cross country, handicap road runs at Peel and track and field until relatively recently.

The main thing was that nobody was badly injured and it was "one of those things" in the sense that it could have happened to anyone. The extra work created for us in getting repairs carried out and doing the paperwork would have been begrudged had it been an accident involving speed or alcohol.

It was the same PC who phoned as had awoken us in the early hours of 20 February so his name was known to me.

But his name is much better known now. A few hours after talking to me he saved the life of the man who had to be rescued from Douglas Harbour. Adam Hawkes is a hero and thank goodness there are people still prepared to take such risks for the good of the community.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Brave-bobby-swims-to-rescue.6145378.jp

No comments: