Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 22 September 2009

Didn't feel like communicating

From my side of things, everything went seamlessly for the End to End Walk. Eventually.

Although I just missed the leaders at Bride (my intended first stop) I took more than 800 photos and got more than an hour of video "in the can".

Using Manx Telecom's ADSL2 broadband service I uploaded all the photos in about 40 minutes including changing the file names and creating smaller copies of each one for uploading. If anyone notices that each file name has the superfluous word "church" in it, this relates to my previous use of the camera when I took two sets of photos at a wedding - one at the reception and the other at the church. When I edited the file name by adding a difference prefix to the last use and changing the date, I failed to delete the word church in the file name.

I started editing the video at lunchtime and returned to it the evening. The edited versions raced up the line compared to previous speeds.

That was technology working at its best, although it was a good job that I have a laptop as well as a desktop. The latter (or my network) let me down big time on Saturday and I spent hours virus testing, going back to restore points, forking out on registry clean up software all to no avail. I shall be returning to the task of fixing the network (the wireless works fine) tonight.

The difficulty of working on a laptop when nearly all my files are elsewhere tested (and failed) my patience and it was a contributory factor in not doing any work on the site last night. It was good to have some visitors too, one of them being Nigel Armstrong with photos and stories from Keswick.

Now that I started resumed my communication I shall try to maintain it. I just hope my computer wants to communicate as much as I do.

No comments: