Search Murray's blogs

Monday 25 May 2009

A one off race at Glen Maye


Marie and I headed south in the car this morning intending to start a walk from the Sound. The mist came in though and we did a U-turn at Cregneish and headed over the Sloc, still in the car I might add.
We parked on the road by the turn off to Eairy Cushlin and had a wonderful walk around the headland and into Dalby and down to Nairbyl. We barely had enough money for a cup of tea ("I thought that you were bringing some money").
I recognised the path as one that I last covered 25 years ago in a one off Pot Luck Relay that started Dalby (although I have just found the newspaper report and it says Glen Maye).
I had retired from race walking the previous year and although soon after started to run around Nobles Park to get fit had declared that I would only run in relays and had no interest in individual competition.
What I hadn't remembered was that I had won the relay thanks to being teamed up with Steve Kelly.
It was surely a great team effort as I was the second fastest on the first three mile "fell" section and Steve was the third fastest on the return road section.
The times on the fell section were:
Dave Newton 18.19
Murray Lambden 19.00
Paul Clarke 19.19
Phil Cain 20.04
John Kewley 20.57
Tony Varley 21.18
Ian Callister 22.55
Graham Gilmour 22.58
Andrew Bargery 23.37
Sian Pilling 23.39
David Pilling 23.46
And on the road section:
Graham Clarke 17.08
Chris Quine 17.37
Steve Kelly 18.24
Colin Halsall 19.22
Mick Hannay 19.36
Steve Parkinson 19.50
Graham Oates 19.54
Robbie Callister 21.23
Doug Sandle 23.18
Norman Kneen 24.41
Brian Cousins 24.48
The first photo shows the route of the course. After a downhill road start it soon hit the rough bits and a tough climb.
The second photo here is just one of the 90 odd today that I took. I wasn't allowed to use any of Marie, particurlarly the one her pussy footing through the stream.
I've just found the press cutting for the Northern 10 won by Tony Varley.

I've completed the Parish Walk feature tonight slightly earlier than feared and am signing off now.

No comments: