Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 11 January 2009

I used to follow football


I said I would struggle to find a connection between the Autosport Show at the NEC in Birmingham and athletics so the best I could manage was a close up of the great Murray Walker being interviewed. I was introduced to him back in 1982 at the dinner at the Villiers Hotel (who remembers that?) as the Isle of Man's Murray Walker. He was a great speaker that night but I thought he looked very tired at the end of a book signing session today and perhaps looked nearer to his age of 83 (at whatever).
I managed to get a question in at a question and answer session with Alan McNish and David Coulthard. I asked "Do Alan and David think that the best drivers in the world constitute the F1 grid". Quick as a flash Alan replied (bottom picture) "Definitely not as I'm not in it anymore". At least my question got the biggest laugh (indirectly of course). DC more or less agreed although no doubt he thinks that he got there with his talent.
When Robbie and I first made plans to stay in Manchester for a few nights I had hoped that we might have gone to watch a big football match held this afternoon. the tickets were available for circa #250 each. I didn't hear the result until Match of the Day tonight (we only just got back from Brum on time) and I'm so glad that we didn't go to the match!





No comments: