Search Murray's blogs

Monday 20 October 2008

No bright lights in Amsterdam



Ben Lambden in Amsterdam


I was back in the house at 9 pm last night - the best part of the weekend was that each of my four flights were either on time or early.

It wasn't the best weekend that I have ever taken away from home and Ben's half marathon was not a great success - adding to my non- participation in the marathon.

He hadn't trained much recently, largely due to factors outside of his control, and should probably have provided for this in his race strategy (with better advice from Dad!). On a 90 minute schedule, he was forced to walk in the latter stages and ended up over 1.40 (his time is missing from the results website).

So tight was our schedule that he was still in his vest and shorts at Amsterdam airport and I hurt my back again carrying a load of bags (including my laptop and his medical books) from the hotel to meet him at the finish. Add to our frustrations that I did not see him at either spot I watched on the course and he was delayed by several hours on his train (well it should have been but it was actually a number of bus journeys) back to Hull last night, and you will see that there is plenty of room for improvement next year!

The biggest smile of the weekend came on opening Michael George's text on the train to the airport.

No comments: