Search Murray's blogs

Sunday 5 October 2008

Boys on winter

I used Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" as the soundtrack to the video I made of the Western 10 today but on checking the fixtures for the next few weeks (as I always do when I consider what I am going to put on the website next), it is definitely "Boys (and Girls) of Winter" with an incredible number of events coming up.

Thursday sees the start of the Ramsey Fireman's runs. Regulars to the Manx scene know all about this winter series but I always feel that we could do a bit more to explain to those that don't already know about it.

Sunday is the first round of the Manx Gas Cross Country which is well featured here and elsewhere.

Sunday is also the date of Welbeck Hotel & Restuarant One Hour Walk and this event is the prelude to the Manx Harriers Winter Walking league.

The following Saturday (just 13 days away) is the start of the Isle of Man Bank Hill Running series.

As if that is not enough, the Thursday after that is the Blackrod Veterans Autumn Handicap.

So just about everything connected to winter on the local scene is about to start including Manx Harriers circuit training and middle distance training sessions.

Given the overloaded fixture list, the one thing that is surprising about the winter season is that between today (Western 10) and Manx Harriers 10km (usually around first week of March) there is only one straight road race - so make the most of the Haldane Fisher Syd Quirk Half Marathon on 2 November and get your entry in today.

I'll do my best to promote all of the above on th manxathletics.com website but, as always, the more detail that the clubs can provide on their own sites the better. I want to take the horse to water rather than man the feeding station myself.

No comments: