Search Murray's blogs

Friday 10 October 2008

First time ever at the Ramsey Firemans

Finally, after more than 20 years I made it to see the Ramsey Fireman's runs. And I changed my mind dozens of times yesterday as to whether I was going to go. I was torn, on the one hand, between a desire to finally see what the event was like and take some photos and film and, on the other hand, the knowledge that I would be leaving more paperwork and emails unattended to. There was also the awful weather.

There were gale force winds for the runners but thankfully it was not too wet. The main event was won by Christian Varley after he had followed Robbie Callister for more than half the race. The second time in five days that Robbie had been the hare.

Northern AC and the fire services provided a warm welcome, as with all of their events, although I couldn't help but cringe at one or two of the crossing points in such dark conditions.

I hope that you like the video but I'm afraid the dark, the rain and my frozen hands put paid to the idea of getting stills as well. As it was my fingers were white when I got home and I had to painfully warm them in a bowl of hot water. Yes, gloves would have been a good idea.

Later last night I trawled through my photo collections of the novice walks and selected the 2005 event as a good one to demonstrate how the Welbeck Hotel and Restaurant sponsored event has unearthed plenty of talent. Watch out for the 2011 Parish Walk winner on Sunday.

No comments: