Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Not illegal immigrants


The group above look like refugees to me. The photo was taken nearly 40 years ago (I'm double checking my sums as I type) in Port St Mary on a Geography field trip. The guy on the right went to the Dogs Home after school a few months later, as he often did, to celebrate his 18th birthday, and disgraced himself when he arrived home at 10 pm very sick in a teetotal house. It had happened several times before but had never been seen!

Three years later I went to the Norfolk pub in Chatham Street in Stoke one Friday lunchtime to celebrate my 21st and was ill by 3 pm.

So I've never been very sociable on birthdays. I ignored calls to celebrate my 40th and did my best ever hill training session instead. Deciding that a trip to Amsterdam on my own for 50th birthday might be mis-interpreted, I went to Cardiff on my own instead and ran the Cardiff Marathon the following day in 2.45.01. Still pretty anti social.

Marie and I weren't very sociable either when we were married 29 years ago. 13 guests were enough at our wedding. And we like to keep our family events to ourselves.

But living in what I think is the best place in the world, our lives are enriched by a circle of friends from many walks of life.

Despite our intention to demonstrate some appreciation for those friendships, we know far too many people to include them all. So although you might see some photos over the next few days of people we are entertaining, I am afraid we have a long list of people we had to leave out.

I wouldn't swop it to be a Nowhere Man but I wish I could do every friendship justice.

No comments: