Search Murray's blogs

Monday 28 May 2012

Out of the sun

I went in search of the missing 8 results from the Northern 10 miles this afternoon.

It was a good job that Alan Franklin was at hand to help me master the tapes containing the old newspapers. Thanks Alan.

I managed to find 6 of the 8.

The missing ones are 1987 and 1992.

1987 was the year the newspaper industry was in the middle of a dispute and ultimately saw the disappearance of some of the old titles. The first Manx Independent was published in May 1987 and the race may have been caught between the old and the new papers - in the early years the Northern 10 was held on the last Sunday in April.

The 1992 result is a bit of mystery as I think I ran in it. I searched for several weeks in both the Isle of Man Courier and the Manx Independent, which were under separate ownership at that stage, but could not find the result. Normally I kept the results from events I was in but perhaps it was never published.

I therefore appeal again for anyone who may just have the results whilst I pop back into the sun to walk the dog.

No comments: