Search Murray's blogs

Saturday 13 August 2011

AAAs marathons

This time tomorrow I should be more than half way through my first Manx Marathon in an even year. I have previously run in 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2010.

In fact I used to say I would not run a marathon in the summer because I didn't think I could cope with the heat. Well, here we are in August and its a pretty awful day.

Such a contrast to running in London in April when the sun came out to surprise us. The problem is that, when I ran badly in London, I used the heat as an excuse. What I can use tomorrow?

Even though my running year has not got to plan this year I decided at Christmas that the marathon in Amsterdam was my priority this year. Twice I have entered before and twice I have injured myself when my hamstring has given out during the first weekend in September.

I would be kidding myself if I didn't admit that I want to beat "so and so" and not be too far behind "x" but my main aim is to run at a steady pace throughout. Immediately after the race I have to recover Robbie and take him home before returning to see the prize presentation.

I have the trophy for the local championship ready to go. Boy was I embarrassed when I saw that I had been given number one to race in.  Priority number one tomorrow morning though is to get Robbie up for me to get to the start line with time to spare.

No comments: