Search Murray's blogs

Tuesday 19 January 2010

I didn’t like what my Garmin told me until I saw the massive personal best times

I travelled to the Lancashire Cross Country for the 15th time in 17 years last week and I had quite a few thoughts that I wanted to share but I was much too busy last week.

I ran on the very first trip in 1993 when it was still held in December. I had taken Paul Curphey under my wing a couple of years ago. Although the whole plan was to improve his marathon times he did so by not running a marathon in 1993 but by doing a lot more middle distance races on the track and giving cross country a big emphasis.

I had to miss the next couple of years. Having spent having spent so much time away at the Commonwealth Games in 1994 I was struggling to fit everything in and in 1995 I had only just started running again after some problems.

Now I wouldn’t miss it. I almost did in 2008 when I decided not to race but stepped in a spectator at the last minute after getting really down about missing the trip. I watched in 2003 too when I had a fall in training and, because I had hired a car to take Robbie with me, I had enrol Steve Partington as a driver - I needed crutches. My woeful years also included 2006 when I pulled up at the first corner after foolishly starting with a hamstring injury.

On a positive note, considering I don’t rank myself highly as a cross country runner I am quite proud of my 5 top 30 finishes.

But I am more proud of all the successes I can vaguely associate myself with as a member of the same club as all those that have excelled. Some of the successful runners continue to thrive and others are still a long way from their peak. It’s a little sad though to reflect that I so often get to know some of the youngsters for the first time on these trips but two years later most of the names and faces have changed.

The consistency comes from Andy Fox who initiated the trips and has done nearly all the organising and team management over the years. I was sad this year that for only the second time he failed to take part. He commented afterwards about how tired he was just doing the work that he normally does as well as taking part!

I went into the race feeling fitter than for a few years at this event. I had not run for nearly a week because of the ice but before that I had done four training sessions of 20 miles or more in a 15 day period and the average mile time, even over so many tough courses, was well inside 7 minutes. Last year I finished 30th when I thought I was unfit. Top 30 here I go, I thought.

What I hadn’t done though is run on anything other than the road for weeks. The warning signs were there when I warmed up and said how hard it was to run in the snow and when the gun went I was rubbish.

I wasn’t that I wasn’t pleased with the way I battled in the race. It was just that I was so badly prepared for running on soft surfaces.

I couldn’t believe how bad I was I took 6.50 for the first mile and then slipped to 7.20 and 7.50. I stuck at it with 7.04, 7.23 and 7.34 but I was wrecked afterwards and could hardly run at all last week as my legs were so sore about just 6 and a bit miles at slower than 7 minute miles.

The most highly motivated I was when Andy told me that I was 49th but, for the sake of the team I had to get the guy from Preston ahead. I took a big risk to pass him on the hardest part of the course (at the foot of the hill) and also passed two others on that lap. When I met Andy next time around he gave me further encouragement but said that I had lost a few places!

I hated my Garmin for telling the truth. But when I took it out of my bag when I got home it had recorded 152 miles. I must have left it switched on and it continued to record every mile along the motorway and on the plane. I was so desperate that I was prepared to claim any personal best!

I also claimed a silver medal but that was a bit of joke. Last year I beat Andy Fox who won a bronze in the over 45s but I was only 4th over 50 in 30th place. This year I was only 46th but I was second over 50. But 2 over 55s beat me so I am hardly proud of my overall result.

The biggest change in all the years we have taken part is at Liverpool Airport which I had avoided for a couple of years. In the old days you went in the front door, checked in straight ahead of you, walked to the right and went through a door into the departure lounge. These days you have to walk around in a big circle past a load of shops which are rapidly closing, have the option of paying to fast track through security to go back downstairs to the other side of the wall from where you started where, unless you sit in a cafe, there are fewer seats than there were before the airport was “improved”.

I have just heard a call of “Victor” as the football is about to start. I don’t believe it.

No comments: