Search Murray's blogs

Wednesday 9 June 2010

NSC opened for all ages

We were out at the Villa Marina last night for the Doves concert. I was a bit worried when the support act were on because there seemed to be so few people there but thankfully quite a few more emerged before the headline act started at around 9.15. It was a good evening although, because we were sitting with the "old farts" on the balcony, the people around about us were very restrained but the youngsters downstairs made up for us.

We went around the prom and town afterwards and I thought it was going to be too late to do anything on the website after midnight but Jenny Dowling's email was interesting. She sent me two photos from the opening of the track in 1991.

I remember the period very well. I was chairman of the IOMAA and a member of the Sports Council at the time and I can't remember which hat I was wearing (both at different times perhaps) but I was a member of the committee that planned the opening meeting. As far as the track was concerned (there were also events on the all weather pitch), the main event after Steve Ovett had opened it was a match between an Isle of Man team and several visiting clubs.

I always think that athletics at its best involves athletes in their peak years but we were also keen to involve all ages. We came up with the veterans mile which has been held every year since then and I also suggested that the youngsters could run around the track with Steve Ovett with him acting as a sort of Pied Piper.

What really made that part of the event was when, rather than jogging around with Steve, some of the athletes started speeding up and the late Geoff Cannell, who was announcing at the time, gave a commentary as if we were witnessing a rare defeat for one of the greatest milers of all time.

Its interesting that the two photos I have published about the opening meeting feature the two supporting acts rather than the main cast.

Talking of supporting acts, I missed the support band being introduced last night but we were laughing that they were sharing a towel between them on stage. You must have to reach a certain level in your career before the band gets a towel each.

I'm running in the 10km tonight so won't be doing a feature on the track meeting but no doubt will be keeping the profile of website on the track for another day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Peter and I were a couple of the youngsters having a jig about downstairs - does that mean the youngsters are getting older these days!

Murray Lambden said...

Hi Bridget, only just noticed your comment but the simple answer is "yes". I wonder if you are at the Bay Festival too.