Search Murray's blogs

Friday 16 August 2013

Fun night

I took part in my first race for 7 weeks tonight. The Peel Heritage Trail race is one of my favourites and I have done every one since it started in 2008. Tonight's was my slowest on my watch - even slower in race time as I missed the start!

Because the "overflow" car park was closed off, I parked (what used to be) the Creg Malin. After registering I ran back to the car to leave some of my kit and got to the start line at 6.58, as did Michael Crook, but the rest of the big field was already out of sight!

I hope I didn't cut in front of anyone too tightly as I tried to recover some positions, The problem was that with each person I caught the next was harder because they were going faster. I ran out of steam when I almost caught Peter Callin as was started the coastal path but despite passing him twice on the final run in, he beat me to the line. Great fun and great view as we approached Peel.

It must have been good to watch too with twice National Cross Country Champion Keith Gerrard at the front of the field.

There were plenty of photographers about and if I get hold of one or two photos before 9 tomorrow morning I will publish them otherwise I out of unavailable until early evening.

No comments: